The history of Brazilian ports begins at the beginning of Colony, where the Portuguese, in 1549, founded the Capital of their domains in America. Salvador was born, then, as a consequence of the excellent port conditions of the Bay of Todos os Santos, becoming for two centuries, the main destination of vessels that crossed the Atlantic on the commercial route between the New and the Old World.
A set of wharves and small anchorages at different points formed the port structure of the capital of Bahia until, on May 13, 1913, the then governor José Joaquim Seabra inaugurated the organized port, from the grounding of an extensive strip of the Comércio neighborhood . The Port of Salvador, recognized at the time as one of the major infrastructure works in the country.
Today, the Port of Salvador plays a decisive role for the Bahian economy, standing out in the handling of containers, general cargo, wheat, cellulose and fruit, benefited, among other factors, by its strategic position in relation to the European Continent and Mercosur. Its area of influence includes, in addition to Bahia, the north of Minas Gerais, Sergipe, Alagoas, Pernambuco, Paraíba, Rio Grande do Norte and Ceará. It is also one of the main destinations on the cruise lines of the Brazilian coast.
In recent years, the Port of Salvador has received substantial investments in its infrastructure, such as Via Expressa, which connects it to BR-324, the dredging of its access channel, the construction of the new passenger maritime terminal and the modernization, purchase of new equipment for the Container Terminal and modernization of the wheat reception structure.